What To Do If Someone Has A Stroke, Signs and Symptoms?

0
477
Stroke

A stroke can occur when the blood supply to the brain is disrupted and starves the brain of oxygen. Strokes are most commonly caused by a clot, that blocks the flow of blood to a part of the brain Although some strokes may be caused by a ruptured blood vessel, that causes bleeding to the brain. Call 999 or 112 for emergency help immediately if you think someone has had a stroke. If you suspect someone is having a stroke, you can use the FAST guide to identify the key signs.

  • F stands for facial weakness. Look at their mouth or eye, they may be droopy or can’t smile evenly.
  • A – Arm weakness. Ask them to raise both their arms, they may only be able to raise one.
  • S – Speech problems. They are unable to speak clearly or might not be able to understand what you’re saying to them. Ask them a question, such as, what is your name? Can they respond appropriately?
  • T – time to call 999 or 112 for emergency help and tell them you suspect a stroke after using the FAST guide.

While waiting for help to arrive, keep them comfortable, supported and reassure them. Do not give them anything to eat or drink, because it may be hard for them to swallow. Keep monitoring their level of response until help arrives. If they become unresponsive, prepare to treat an unresponsive casualty. So remember, to help someone who has had a stroke, use FAST. Facial weakness, arm weakness, speech problems means it’s time to call 999 or 112 for emergency help.

What If Your Baby Has Swallowed Something Poisonous?

As your baby crawls around your home or outside, they could come into contact with poisonous substances. Poisonous things your baby might swallow include chemicals, drugs, plants, fungi and berries. If your baby has swallowed something poisonous, you might see some of these signs. They may vomit, they may have stomach pains, they may have seizures or fits and they may become unresponsive. If you think your baby has swallowed something poisonous, try and find out what it is, how much they’ve swallowed and when they swallowed it.

Look for clues like plants or containers. Call 999 or 112 for an ambulance and give them all the information you can while you wait for help check that your baby is breathing normally and if they respond to you. If they do not respond, open their airway, check their breathing and see if they need CPR. Don’t try to make your baby sick, but if they are, try to collect some of the vomit to give to the emergency services; it might help them to find out what the poison is. If what your baby has swallowed is burning their mouth or lips, give them sips of water or milk until help arrives. So remember, try and find out what your baby has swallowed, call 999 or 112 for an ambulance keep checking their breathing, if your baby’s mouth is burning, give them sips of water or milk until help arrives.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here