Caller: Hiya, can I have an ambulance at the Brittania hotel at Portland street please? Dispatcher: Is the patient breathing? Caller: Yeah.
Dispatcher: Tell me exactly what happened. Erm, my friend, well, she’s not been well all day and then she’s literally just had a baby. Dispatcher: So she actually had a baby? Yeah. When? About two, three minutes ago? How many weeks pregnant was she? Erm, actually I don’t know. Because she didn’t actually know she was pregnant. Right, is baby fine? It seems fine, erm It’s crying and it’s screaming and everything. [baby’s cries overheard] Narrator: An ambulance is dispatched immediately. They’re ten minutes away, but we’ll also need a clinician with additional skills. John, an advanced paramedic, is three minutes from the hotel. Yes, 498. Dispatch: 498, just getting details of a female giving birth at the Brittania Hotel. We have got alpha 578 running also. Am I alright to put you on this job, please? Over. Yeah, absolutely. No problem. If I get any further details, I will let you know. Thanks. Roger received, thanks Dispatch: So make sure the cord is not too wrapped around the baby’s neck. The baby between the mother’s legs? Yeah. – Yeah
– Yeah, okay, so we’re gonna watch the baby closely for three minutes, then tie the cord with a string or shoelace. Do you know how long they’re gonna be? We’re coming as quickly as we can. Don’t worry, okay? I know it feels like a lifetime, but you’re both doin’ so well. Tie the string tightly around the umbilical cord about six inches from the baby but do not pu- tie it now and tell me when it’s done. Okay? Right, I’ve tied it. Okay, well done, you are doing so well. What’s your name? – It’s Rebecca.
– Pardon? Rebecca. Rebecca, you’re doing absolutely brilliantly, okay? So do not pull the cord, okay? It’s important for you to watch the baby and the mother to make sure that they’re both okay. Okay? If anything changes, tell me immediately, okay? Yeah, erm, are they coming upstairs
or do I need to go out? No, I have told him that you’re in room 442. [dramatic music] Dispatch: How are they both doing? Caller: You’ve got a ginger. Caller: Right, they’re here. Hullo, Hiya. – Hello
– Hiya Yeah, they’re just here now. Thank you. Crikey, what’s going on Stacey? I’ve had, like, really bad back pain. The next thing I know, I’m pushing and then I can feel like a head on me. And you had no idea you were pregnant? Well, I’ve been at the doctor’s today because I have got, like, a bump but they said the pregnancy test said no, negative. So they were like we’ll test you to see if you’ve got a cyst or anything. Right. Okay. And what have we got? – A little girl.
– A little girl! Well, she looks nice and pink and happy Just keep her covered up. Most important thing is keeping her warm for the time being, all right? Yes, alright. Has your placenta come out? Yeah, it’s right here. Right. Okay, so So this is all a bit of a shock, then, isn’t it? What were you doing here ? For a Harry Potter convention that we were at. Yeah Well we were. Right. Mother: You’re gonna like your Harry Potter, aren’t you? Okeydokey. Right. Okay, let’s have this little one’s cord. We’ll get ever…pardon? She looks really white. It’s all right. She’ll start to pink up. Don’t worry. She’s lovely and pink. – Let’s keep her wrapped up.
– Yeah Let me pick this back up. Just watch your step because there’s loads of blood on the floor, okay? I’m really sorry. You’re gonna have blood everywhere. Staff: It’s alright, don’t worry about it. Let’s get you sat down and comfortable. Stacey, do you want me to ring Tom? Let’s have a good look at it. – Are you in any pain?
– A little. Are you? Been in pain all day as well. So I’m just gonna clip this. [baby cries] Just cut this cord So like I said, the important thing is keeping her nice and warm now so we’re gonna wrap her up in some nice blankets. Get a little hat on her head. Yeah, let’s – come here, sweet Okay, you keep a nice look on – oh, she’s a cutie I’m just gonna keep doing this blood pressure. Okay, Stacy, so… Hermione? We’ll go with that? Stick with the Harry Potter theme. You can ring him in a minute, let’s get you sorted out first. We just need to make sure everything’s all right. She took a pregnancy test this morning. She took a pregnancy test and they’ve all said negative But then just before the crew got there she went “Oh, Stacey it’s a little ginger.” – How old was she?
– 25. Had no idea. Could you imagine that, though? Like me, at 25. Me, now – well, 26 Luckily she’s in a hotel and so she’s got like, towels everywhere. Well, she won’t even have, like, a nappy. – Nothing.
– Not a bottle, or… She had no problem medically? Not a cold, or…? I’m not being funny, but when I was – there was absolutely no mistaking that I was pregnant. Literally, what happened. I was like a potato.