Office of Student Assistance and Relief: How to Apply for the Student Tuition Recovery Fund

The Office of Student Assistance and Relief
(OSAR) is here to help you after a private, postsecondary school closes. We may be able to help you recover tuition
costs and we can help you research other schools to transfer to so you can ask the right questions
and explore all your options. We can also work with other state and federal
agencies on your behalf. We are here to help you if you have questions
on filling out your application for the Student Tuition Recovery Fund. This fund is available for California students
registered in a school approved by the California Bureau for Private Postsecondary Education. Please, don’t disqualify yourself before
contacting us. Apply even if you think you are not eligible for
the Student Tuition Recovery Fund or are missing requested documents we can help you determine
your eligibility. Now, let’s look at the STRF application. The application is available on our website
at You can download the application to your computer
and fill it out, then save it before printing and mailing it. Or you can print it out and fill it in by
hand, then make a copy for your records. All applications must be mailed, not faxed
or emailed. Be sure to fill in all information on the
application or we won’t be able to process it. In Section 1 under STUDENT, don’t forget
to fill in your social security number or taxpayer identification number. In Section 2, you must provide documents to
prove you attended the school. Those documents may include, but are not limited
to your enrollment agreement, transcripts and loan agreements. Section 3 asks questions about your attendance
and California residency. Fill in Section 4 if you attended another
institution after your school closed. Section 5 lists qualifying events, but don’t
disqualify yourself because of this information. Just get your application in and we can review
it and decide. Section 6A asks for your out-of-pocket expenses
for going to school. Did you make any payments by cash, check,
credit card, debit card, money order or cashier’s checks? If you answer yes, then you must provide documents
to support your expenses. Those documents may include, but are not limited
to receipts, an image or copy of cashed checks (front and back), school statements and bank
statements. Section 6B asks if you used student loans
to pay for your tuition. Student loans include federal loans, private
loans, and Parent Loans for Undergraduate Students (PLUS)
If you answer yes on 6B, then you must provide documents to support your expenses. Those documents may include, but are not limited
to loan statements, loan agreements, any documents showing you took out a loan and proof of payments
Section 6C asks if you used grants or third-party payments for tuition. A third party is anyone other than you or
your parents. This can include Cal Grants, Pell grants,
scholarships, veterans benefits, employer payments, and Workers Compensation payments. If you answer yes to 6C, then you must provide
documents to support your expenses. Those documents may include, but are not limited
to receipts, school ledger card, and school account records. Section 6D of the application asks if you
had any non-tuition economic loss. Those losses include registration fees, expenses
for required equipment, examination fees, and any other payments to the school not already
listed on this for m. To determine your total economic loss for this claim: add up the amounts from A, B, C and D, then
add any legal expenses you may have had – up to $500, for possible reimbursement of fees
you’ve already paid – to determine your You must let us know if you’ve received
any refunds, reimbursements or forgiveness for any part of your economic loss. If you can’t provide the needed documents
on this form, explain why at the end of Section 6D. We may be able to help you get those documents. In Section 7, don’t forget to sign, date
and print your name. The final page of your application is the
Loan Negotiation, Certification and Authorization form. You can skip this if you don’t have any
student loans. If you have student loans, you must fill this
out because it allows us to contact your loan servicer on your behalf. One form is good for all of your loans. Now, double check your application. Did you include all requested documents that you have? Did you completely fill out your application? If you need help filling out your application,
contact our staff at OSAR. Call us at 888-370-7589 or email questions
to [email protected]

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *